Stoplight Pepper Pasta
Here is a fantastically healthy summer pasta dish that is delicious!
Ingredients (for 1 serving):
5 oz whole wheat pasta
½ chopped red bell pepper
½ chopped yellow pepper
1 cup chopped spinach
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tbs olive oil
1/8 cup water
½ cup Muir Glen pasta sauce (or other organic brand)
½ ounce crumbled feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions and set aside.
- In a non stick frying pan, heat the olive oil on medium high for 30 seconds. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, then add chopped peppers and water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add chopped spinach and pasta sauce and cook for 4-5 more minutes, until spinach is just getting wilted.
- Remove sauce from heat. Add the cooked pasta, mix, and transfer to serving dish.
- Top with crumbled feta and enjoy!
The Stats*: Calories: 440 Carbs: 55.1 Fat: 18.4 Protein: 12.4
*may vary depending on the type of pasta and sauce you use.
And even more importantly, here’s the break down of health benefits of this meal:
- Olive oil is a rich, monounsaturated fat: a type of fat that researchers are discovering has excellent health benefits.
- Garlic has numerous health benefits including reducing artery plaque and contributing to lower blood pressure.
- Whole grains are great for fiber, but also contain antioxidants, iron and magnesium.
- The key nutrients in spinach are vitamin K and A, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron and vitamin C. You probably know about Vitamin C and it’s role in protecting the body from virus and disease. But Vitamin A too is critical for a variety of functions including vision, immune function, bone metabolism, and antioxidant activity.
- Bell peppers adding even more vitamin A & C
- Feta cheese adds calcium to the mix for more bone support.
And voila, you’ve got one power packed meal!