Make the most of your workout!
Sometimes getting through the day while trying to eat well is a battle against the clock. Like most women, I’m a total snacker. During the day though, I really don’t care for a full “meal” – I’d rather have a few lighter snacks throughout the day – some call it “grazing”.
The trick of course is keeping your ‘snacks’ at that, and not blowing your calories by forgetting that if you’re eating frequently, the quantity needs to be small. To help, I keep a list of my favorite ‘snack’ meals, all around 300 calories. Breaking up my 9-5 day in 3 smaller meals vs. 2 (breakfast/lunch) really keeps me going until dinner time.
Here are my fav’s:
1. Lite Waldorf Salad: Mix 2-3 oz cooked chicken, 2 c. baby spinach, chopped celery, ½ chopped apple: with ¼ c. non-fat yogurt, top with 5 walnut halves (chopped) + handful dried cranberries, (approx 354 cals)
2. Mediterranean wrap: In a whole wheat wrap, lay a handful of baby Spinach, 1 oz feta, 7 cooked small shrimp, 5 chopped sundried tomatoes – (approx 310 cal)
3. Veggie Wrap: In a whole wheat wrap, spread 2 tb hummus, then lay a handful Spinach, and shredded carrot, and wrap (approx 190 cals)
4. Yogurt Parfait: 1 c. non fat plain Greek yogurt, 2 sliced strawberries, ¼ c blueberries & ½ c. Fit Green Goddess Simply granola (only 90 cal!) – (total approx 250 cal)
5. Open PB&B: 1 slice toasted Ezekiel sprouted grain bread, 1 tb organic unsalted peanut butter, sliced banana (approx 250 cals)
6. Oatmeal (steel cut organic whole grain) with sliced banana and .5 oz sliced raw almonds (about 5-6 chopped) – (approx 270 cals)