Make the most of your workout!
Love italian food but cant’ do the carbs and fat? Have I got a recipe for you. I made this last night and had left overs for lunch – it is truly a phenomenal taste for such low calories, carbs and fat. For 200 calories per serving, about an hour to make, this is definitely one to try!!
1. Spread 1/3 marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan
2. Slice the eggplant into about 12-15 thick slices, saute both sides in a non stick pan with spray oil – lay half down in the pan and reserve half on another plate
3. Mix ricotta cheese with the Italian seasoning, and place 1/2 of it in spoon size dollops on the eggplant (reserve second half of ricotta). Lay on top of this 1/2 of the basil leaves.
4. Spread 1/3 marinara sauce on the eggplant/ricotta layer, then top with 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese
5. Layer remaining eggplant slices and remaining 1/2 ricotta cheese in spoon size dollops on the eggplant, plus the remaining basil leaves
6. Saute chopped red pepper with garlic and 1 tbs. olive oil in non stick pan (may need to add 1/8 cup water) – cook until red peppers are tender, then sprinkle on top of the second eggplant layer.
7. Spread remaining marinara sauce (1/3 jar), and sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top
Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 5 min. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 min before serving… enjoy!!
Nutrition per serving (Recipe makes 8 moderate servings) Calories: 200/ Fat: 10 g / Carbs: 15.5 g / Protein: 12 g