Low Sugar, Low Fat Raspberry Bars
I’m on a baking kick these days, having fun experimenting with ways to make recipes healthier, but still very tasty. Here is my twist on a “traditional” raspberry bar. My recipe calls for much less sugar than you’d typically find in a bar like this: At less than 100 calories and 5g sugar per bar it’s great for breakfast or mid-day snack!
You can also make these in a mini-cupcake pan which puts out the perfect single portion size..
Samara’s Low Sugar Low Fat Raspberry Bar
- ¼ cup tablespoons cold Land-O-Lakes Soft Butter with Canola Oil
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup low sugar (not sugar free, which has artifical sugar) raspberry jam
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- PAM butter spray
- Heat oven to 375° F (or 350 degrees convection oven).
- Lightly spray an 8-inch square baking pan *or, mini cupcake pan* with PAM butter spray.
- In a medium bowl mix the flour, sugar, agave, and salt to combine. Add the butter and mix just until the dough comes together like cookie dough. Fold in the oats.
- Press all but 1/2 cup of the dough into the prepared pan or if using a mini cupcake pan, about 1 tbsp per cup.
- Spread the jam in a thin layer on top of the dough, leaving a small border around the edges, then place the fresh raspberries over the jam
- Top the raspberries & jam layer with remaining dough in tablespoon size dollups.
- Bake about 25 to 28 minutes (or 20 minutes for mini-cupcake size) until the top layer is golden (the jam will bubble a bit).
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 18 servings. Each: 97 calories, 1.74g fat, 18g carbs, 2.39g protein, 5g sugar