Make the most of your workout!
If you’ve met me – even once – you know my sweet tooth just as well. I LOVE sweets and it takes every bit of my being to resist a sugary temptation. As a kid after school most days you could find me either scrounging through the couches to find $0.40 in pennies if I had to, in order to buy a Reese’s peanut butter cup at the local 7-11. If my sisters had got to the couch change first, cinnamon and sugar on toast was usually the cheap way to satisfy the sugar craving.
But now that I’m in my 30’s my body fights back when I have sugar (either in just feeling crappy, weight gain, or sluggishness), I’ve started a mission to try and kick the addiction once and for all. It’s not been easy, and I have had a few set backs. But having some go-to substitutes has really helped. And I find the longer I go without it, the easier it gets. Trust me, you sugar fiends!
My top 5 “ingredients” for whenever I have a craving are as follows:
There are an enormous amount of treats you can make with the above 5 ingredients. If you put a little time and effort into it, you can really kick the sugar to the curb! Here are my favs:
1) Banana “ice cream” (see my recipe here). To die for! You’ll never need ice cream again.
2) Mock Chocolate “fondue”: Simply mix 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder with 1 tbsp warm water (add more if too pasty). Slice up some apples, oranges, or bananas and dip into the chocolate! *Note, to get some extra protein, try mixing chocolate protein powder in with the cocoa powder(you’ll need a little more water). Delish!
3) Chocolate (or vanilla) protein pudding: Mix 1 scoop protein powder with 1 cup 0% greek plain yogurt – whisk until smooth and enjoy! *Note you can add 1/2 tsp sea salt to cut the tangy flavor of the yogurt.
4) Coconut “frosting”: Whisk together 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder + 1 tsp vanilla extract + 1/2 cup 0% fat cottage cheese, until smooth and all the lumps are gone. Add 1-2 tbsp raw coconut flakes
5) Almond butter balls: These are AMAZING!! Combine 1/2 cup chocolate CASEIN protein powder + 1/2 cup warm water – mix until smooth. Then mix in 1/4 cup almond butter with a spoon until smooth – put into your clean hands and roll into bite sized balls. Roll into a plate of cocoa powder or coconut flakes to coat the outside; refrigerate for 30 mins.
Have a SWEET day!